Batopilas 3 Day Private Tour
Flat Rate for 1-4 people: $928USD
Per person rate starting 5th person: $232USD
This 3 Day Batopilas Tour leaves out the 4×4 back canyon road and deep canyon hiking day that is included on the 4 Day Batopilas Adventure.
You’ll experience real adventure as you travel the roads from Creel in the high sierra through 4 different canyons and to the bottom of Batopilas Canyon to the Magic Town of Batopilas itself. Starting out from Creel, you’ll wind your way along the highway to the Cusarare Ejido about 22kms from Creel where you’ll stop off for a look at the Cusarare Mission in Cusarare Village. The first church in Cusarare was built in 1741 by the Jesuit fathers. Originally it was much smaller than the church we see today. It was dedicated to the ‘Five major saints’; Jesus, Mary, Joseph, Anne and Joaquim who are represented in an original painting to the left of the altar.
Next you’ll be driven to visit the lovely Cusarare Waterfall that has a drop of about 30 meters with steps that go all the way to the bottom. Some walking is required to visit the waterfall so please be sure to let your driver know if you cannot or do not wish to walk and he can skip this stop for you.
Continue on through Basihuare & Humira Canyons and begin to catch glimpses of the amazing views to come as you pass into Copper Canyon, arriving at the bottom of it at Humira Bridge where you can get out and stroll across it and view Urique River just under the bridge.
After lunch the views get even better as you enter big canyon country and you begin your descent down the switchback roads to the Magic Town of Batopilas nestled by the river far below. These are the most amazing views and you’ll need your camera handy to convince others that you’ve really traversed this dramatic canyon.
Arriving in Batopilas, you’ll be dropped off at your hotel where you can shower and freshen up for a nice dinner of Tlapia fish at Carolina’s Restaurant. Your guide will help you make reservations as well as help you with ordering. All meals in Batopilas are on your own, unless you’ve chosen to stay at the Riverside Lodge where a continental breakfast is included with the room rate.
This 3-day private tour includes the Tour Only and you must provide for your own hotel, meals and entrance fees through the Raramuri Toll Booths that we’ll pass through en route during the trip. You can include your hotel, Indian entrance fees and picnic lunch on the way down to Batopilas as optional Add-Ons during the booking process if you like.
Our Booking Button is being upgraded at this time and is not available. Please write to us directly at email@example.com and we’ll set up a basket for you manually. Thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience.
Reviews 1 Review5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Leisurely
Group Size Small Group
Start location: Creel, Chihuahua
End location: Creel, Chihuahua
- Cusarare Mission
- Cusarare Waterfall
- Drive through Humira Canyon
- Drive through Basihuare Canyon
- Drive through Copper Canyon
- Drive through Batopilas Canyon
- The Lost Cathedral of Satevo outside Batopilas
- Aqueduct hike in Batopilas or hike to an old silver mine (enter at your own risk)
- Ruins of Hacienda San Miguel in Batopilas (if open)
- Sight the Mot Mot, Military Macaw, Trogan & the Squirrel Cuckoo in Batopilas
- Batopilas History Museum – learn about the Silver Trail Ride
- On the return journey to the upper sierra: Valley of the Mushrooms, Frogs, Monks, and Lake Arareko
- Wear comfortable walking shoes
- We recommend you bring a bottle of water
- Bring small change or small bills so you can purchase hand-made crafts and souvenirs from the Raramuri people.
- Please bring sunblock and a hat as you will be above 7,000 feet and one burns easily this high up
- Please note that this private tour has a Flat Base Price for up to 4 people. This means you pay the same flat rate if you have 1,2,3 or 4 people in your traveling party. The per person pricing is used if you have 5 or more people in your traveling party.
- Please see our Cancellation Policy before booking.
- Clean, well maintained and private vehicle
- Professional, historian, private guide English/Spanish
- Snack basket in touring vehicle
- Ice chest filled with beverages
- Sotol (type of tequila made only in Chihuahua) tasting and Lechuguia (a type of local distilled Mezcal) tasting upon availability
- 16% Mexican tax
- Hotel in Batopilas – available as an optional Add-On (Please include this Add-On choice at time of booking if you’d like to include this)
- Any personal items
- Travel Insurance
- Raramuri toll booth fees that are paid directly to the Indians. Please include this Add-On choice at time of booking if you’d like to include this.
- Meals – A Perfect Picnic with table and chairs, Box Lunch, or Gourmet Box Lunch to have en route during the tour down to Batopilas is available as an optional Add-On. (Please include this Add-On choice at time of booking if you’d like to include this.)
Drive through 4 Canyons
Please be ready and waiting in the reception area of your hotel for your guide. He will be there to meet you a few minutes before your scheduled pickup time.
We’ll start the day by driving to Cusarare Waterfall to enjoy it before it gets crowded, then on through 3 different canyons, descending from over 7,500 feet to the very bottom of the Copper Canyon and passing through pine forest into deciduous forest. It will get warmer as we descend so do wear layers for best comfort.
If you’ve included the Perfect Picnic, or one of the box lunches today as an Add-On during your tour, your guide will stop to set up your lunch for you at a nice overlook, or perhaps near a river or stream. Enjoy an immersive experience as you dine in the outdoors in Amigo Style.
After lunch, we’ll continue our drive into Batopilas Canyon and enjoy the amazing views from the switchback roads as we make our descent to the small, silver mining village at only about 400 meters above sea level. You’ll stop for photos at various overlooks. Upon arrival, your guide will check you into your hotel. You’ll have some quite time to rest before dinner.
Your guide will meet you for dinner to instruct you where to dine and what is most tasty here regionally in Batopilas. Your guide will say goodnight to you so you can enjoy some downtime before you retire for the evening.
Sightseeing in Batopilas
Today is a full day to enjoy the area in and around Batopilas. You’ll start the day with a visit to the Lost Cathedral of Satevo, just 8kms outside of Batopilas. If you are hikers, your guide will allow you to walk part of the way to enjoy the approach of the Cathedral even more.
Afterwards, you’ll enjoy a visit to the Batopilas Museum to hear about the old silver mining days and to see photos of the annual Silver Trail re-enactment with real arrieros. Your guide will help you sort out where to have lunch, then you can choose to do a self-guided walk along the old aqueduct of about 3kms, or you can do a local guided hike up to an old silver mine above the town of Batopilas and enter at your own risk. The mine circuit hike is about 3 hours.
Your guide will help you sort out where to have dinner tonight and what to order.
Return to Upper Sierra
Today you’ll return to the upper sierra, stopping at the Valley of the Mushrooms, Frogs, Monks and Lake Arareko to explore that area. You will arrive in Creel in time to for lunch.
Because you will be passing through 4 different climate zones on this trip, it is advisable to dress in layers so you can cool down as you get deeper into the canyons. Batopilas sits at just above sea level so it is hot in the winter, and very hot in the summer. Be sure to bring good hiking boots or hiking shoes with plenty of traction if you plan to hike or walk anywhere.
No, hiking is never mandatory on any of our tours, though this tour is meant for those that want to get out and hike in the canyons without doing a full blown hiking trip, it can also be done by those who want to enjoy the cultural aspect of the trip but who do not hike much. Some walking is required in order to get to some of the out of reach places such as Cusarare Waterfall, the old silver mine, or the aqueduct, but you can opt out of those walks if you prefer.
Not really. Because you will be in the remote canyon regions on your descent to Batopilas, you will not find anywhere to purchase food. Be sure to include one of our picnic or box lunch Add-Ons for your own convenience, or bring along something to eat on your own if you prefer it.
However, please note that our picnic Add-Ons have all been specifically designed to fill you up and add a special touch to your tour that will make it more memorable for you.